Diptic - A Mini-Story App

Colorful Tuk-tuks at Udon Thani's Railway Station (a Diptic montage)



Monday, June 18, 2012: Udon Thani

It was a lazy day in Udon Thani and I mainly did some research for my next stops which would involve crossing the border to Laos in order to get a 15-day visa when re-entering Thailand and going to the Dan Sai district in Loei Province for the Phi Ta Khon or Ghost Festival which is supposed to be held on June 22 and 23 reflecting the local Isan belief in ghosts and spirits.


When browsing the App Store from my MacBook, I came across "Diptic", a collage or as I call it, a mini-story app for the Mac. I know Diptic from the iPhone/iPad but wasn't aware that it existed for the Mac (until now, that is).


A Fruit Seller near Udon Thani's Railway Station (using Diptic for showing people's different poses in one picture)




At 0.79 Euro cents it is a steal for what it can do. One can select from 56 frame-layouts which are fully adjustable and can hold from one to six photos per layout. These layouts start out as squares but can be turned into rectangles of different dimensions and even into circles. I like it in particular that border widths and colors can be changed and there are even tools to make certain adjustments to your photos once they have been imported into the frames.


I consider it a Mini-Story Telling app as it lets you show a sequence of pictures telling more about an event, an encounter you might have had or a trip you have taken, or it could show a building, a product or a person from different angles and at different moments while still staying within the dimensions of one picture. So far, I really like it.


My Fish Lunch at a Nearby Market



Details of the day:

I had wanted to take the train from Bangkok all the way down to Singapore but now with staying longer in Thailand due to the Ghost Festival, I decided to book a flight. I usually use www.checkfelix.com as it quotes directly in Euros and prices seem competitive. But this time I was transferred to www.bravofly.com and shortly after making the booking (but not having received the confirmation) I received a call that the price had gone up by Euro 2.67 and the person on the telephone wanted my credit card number. I was hesitant at first but after calling the company via Skype, I finally agreed. Then it still didn't work out and I had to wait for the cancellation of the transaction and rebook. In the meantime the price had gone up some 7 Euros but eventually I got the confirmation. First time it had been so complicated to book a flight on-line.

But now I am set and will be in Singapore from July 3-10 before going to Kuching for the Rainforest World Music Festival - July 13-15 - www://rwmf.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment