The Speed of Travel

Overlooking the site of Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat in Chaliang from the top of  the prang





Tuesday, June 5, 2012: Si Satchanalai

I remember that right after graduating from high school, I went on a month-long Interrail trip all over Europe with a friend and classmate. Within 30 days, starting out from Munich, we went to the Netherlands, Belgium, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy and back to Vienna. We arrived at over 20 train stations and visited as many museums along the way. We were almost constantly on the move and often spent 2 nights on the train traveling and the third night at some youth hostel trying to save money. We slept on the beach and on the construction site of a half-finished house somewhere in Spain.

But now, more than 30 years later, my traveling speed has changed or I should better say it has slowed down (tremendously). I like to travel slowly and tend to stay at least 3 nights, often more in one place. Since I left Vienna back in February, I spent 1 week in Venice for the Carnevale, another in Istanbul, 4 nights in Göreme, Cappadocia, over 6 weeks in India starting out in Kerala, then going to Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Agra and Delhi, and am currently in Thailand where I have a 2-month visa before continuing to Malaysia, Singapore, Borneo and China.

"De-weeding" one of the structures at Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat in Chaliang



Nowadays, I need more time to take in the different places and I can hardly see myself packing my bags every day. It gives me time to visit places slowly, revisit the ones I liked, spend leisure time having a coffee or a slow meal, use the internet, read, reflect on things and life in general, and I consider it a tremendous luxury being able to travel this way.

Just today, I decided that I will stay another night in Si Satchanalai as I am waiting for the sun. The last few days have been overcast and cloudy and I miss the sunlight in my photographs. And I remember that the weather forecast predicted sunshine for Wednesday.

Sitting Buddha in front of the prang at Wat Si Rattana Mahathat


My home stay is comfortable and very quiet, just as I like it. I have not seen another foreigner for 2 days which is rather rare here in Thailand. Earlier today, I explored the neighborhood by bike and tomorrow I will visit the historical park after I only did the nearby Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat this
morning. Sunshine, that is what I hope tomorrow will bring!

Details of the day:
  1. Admission to Wat Phra Si Rattana Mahathat Chaliang - 20 Thai Baht
1 Euro equals roughly 40 Thai Baht, 1 US Dollar about 30 Thai Baht.

No comments:

Post a Comment