Heavy rains over Sukhothai

Wat Tra Phang Ngoen, Sukhothai Historical Park, Central Part


Friday, June 1, 2012: Historical Park of Sukhothai - Central Part

Today was my second full day in Sukhothai which I had chosen as a stop-over on my way from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai but I got rained in or rained out, however one might want to look at it. Yesterday, I had visited the Central Part of the Sukhothai Historical Park which is one of Thailand's 5 UNESCO World Heritage sites. So, today, I planned on going later in the day and explore the Western and Northern parts and also catch the afternoon light for photographic purposes but as soon as I got there, it started to pour and would not stop. It was even hard to catch a songthaew - which are these covered pick up trucks with usually two rows of seats in the back for transporting people along set routes in many Thai cities - back to New Sukhothai where I am staying.

But here is a lucky detail: I had decided to take my tripod but couldn't close the bag completely I had put it into. So, just before arriving in Old Sukhothai, it fell out of the bag and off the songthaew. Guess Manfotto tripods are made to survive such falls and fortunately no heavy truck was right behind us. Well, I will have to secure it better tomorrow.

I am always in a dilemma, whether to take my tripod or not. I know I should as I get better and sharper photos but it not only means carrying all this weight around but it also takes quite some time to set up the tripod, camera, etc.

Some details of the day:
Guesthouse I am staying in: TR Guesthouse - room with ensuite bathroom and ac 400 Thai Baht
Songthaew from New Sukhothai to Old Sukhothai (Historical Park) and back - one way 30 Thai Baht
Entrance fee to either part of the Historical Park (Central, North, West) - 100 Thai Baht + there is a surcharge if you enter by bicycle, motorbike and car
Bicycle rental - 30 Thai Baht but I have not tried that yet

No comments:

Post a Comment