My First Durian Ever


Wednesday, June 6, 2012: Si Satchanalai

It has been my experience in life so far that you often get the things you want at some stage. I am not talking about winning the lottery here necessarily but smaller trophies or experiences, just things you had on your mind but never tried or received while having them on the mental back burner.

For years, I had somehow wanted to try Durians, that yellowish, smelly food - some say it smells like sweaty feet - yuck - and one is not allowed to get on a bus with in Thailand for example. For some reasons I never have, probably also because I never heard anyone raving about it.

This morning, my homestay host lady who always serves me a plate of fruit for breakfast, had included besides pineapple that Durian fruit I had been curious about. I had not asked for it, so it was this - if you want it, you will eventually get it thing.

Well, to cut a long story short, I was not impressed at all. It tastes rather bland, there was no aggressive smell which was good but next to the pineapple it certainly did not live up to any expectations I might have had. Perhaps it is one of these things which grows on you like sushi or cream cheese with jam which is popular in Cuba, or it could be something people acquire a taste for from early on like it must be with chicken feet in China or fried scorpions and other critters here in Thailand.

I don't think that I will rush out to buy durians but I am glad that finally I satisfied my curiosity. By the way, one fruit I did develop a liking for in China and I almost loved from the very first time one, are pomelos - perhaps because they are a less sour version of grapefruits, but I truly like them.

The other good news today was that it had been worth staying the extra day as it was a sunny day after all and it made heading out to the temple ruins so much more worthwhile. The sky had a hint of blue, not like during my 7 weeks in India where it always was a spectacular blue and not like I remember it from Cambodia back in 2010. Somehow the sky in Thailand or at least the parts I have been to has never had this intensive blue - could it be air pollution?

But after 3 nights here in a small village with no internet, I have to admit that I am ready to move on. Tomorrow, I will head for Chiang Mai, one of my favorite places in Thailand.

Details of the day:
  1. Admission to Si Satchanalai's Historical Park - 100 Thai Baht
  2. I lost my hat which I had only bought a few weeks ago - the most puzzling thing is that I have absolutely no idea where and how I lost it, as I was in the park and there was no one else around. Well, it's gone and while it only cost 150 Baht, I kind of liked wearing it - so, I guess I will look for a new one up in Chiang Mai.
  3. The book I am currently reading: Walter Isaac's Bio of Steve Jobs - I am reading it on my iPhone which I find so convenient - great read so far for an Apple fan and user like me.
  4. Training Video I started to watch: Laura Shoe's Lightroom 4 Training from the CreativeLive series - 18 hours of Lightroom 4 training - that is a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment